New User - Setup Problem - osmo/rtl-sdr and grc - Mac OSX

Kevin McQuiggin mcquiggi at sfu.ca
Sat Dec 1 16:23:17 UTC 2012

Hi All:

A question and plea for help please!

I am new to the list.  I have used the rtl-sdr/osmosdr blocks in gnuradio companion before under Ubuntu, but am having problems getting them set up under Mac OS.

My gnuradio/grc install used the macports facility.  Took a bit of time to get everything to compile, but grc comes up okay.

I have successfully downloaded, cmake/make, and installed the rtl-sdr and gr-osmocom packages from git.

I had to move all the installed files from /usr/local to /opt/local in order to get everything into the right place for the macports gnuradio to find it.

What works:

I can load grc and see the osmocom/rtl-sdr blocks.  I can add and modify them as usual.

Here's a screen shot:

What doesn't work:

When I generate/run the flow graph, I get messages indicating that the osmosdr module cannot be found:

---
Executing: "/Users/mcquiggi/Desktop/top_block.py"

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/mcquiggi/Desktop/top_block.py", line 19, in <module>
    import osmosdr
ImportError: No module named osmosdr

>>> Done
---

Note also that from my xterm if I enter simply:

Kevins-MacBook-Air:~ mcquiggi$ python -c "import osmosdr"
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: No module named osmosdr
Kevins-MacBook-Air:~ mcquiggi$

I get a python error.

There is an 'osmosdr' directory in /opt/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/.

What I have tried:

- creatling a soft link called 'osmosdr' (ln -s) in /opt/local/lib/python2.7/ to /opt/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/osmosdr
- setting PYTHONPATH to /opt/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/

Here is the contents of /opt/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/osmosdr:

Kevins-MacBook-Air:~ mcquiggi$ ls /opt/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/osmosdr
__init__.py		_osmosdr_swig.so	osmosdr_swig.pyo
__init__.pyc		osmosdr_swig.py
__init__.pyo		osmosdr_swig.pyc
Kevins-MacBook-Air:~ mcquiggi$

So it looks like it -may- be a simple problem to solve, but I lack the necessary knowledge of how osmosdr integrates with gnuradio.

Any help appreciated,

Kevin