Si5170 replaceable with SI514 ????

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Mon Apr 2 08:45:26 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 10:21:26AM +0300, Heikki Ylipiessa wrote:
> But .. the 10MHz lower limit cuts the possibility of using it for
> 1.8MHz and 3.6Mhz and 7.0 MHz HAM radio bands ...
> The SI514 would possibly cover the need ..
> As I don't know how solidly the design has been made ...
> I'm asking if the Si570 can be replaced with SI514 and if so
> does the device firmware also need adjusting ???

The limitation of 64MHz lowest input frequency is a result of the E4000
tuner, not of the oscillator.  So no, it is not possible to receive the
low frequency short wave bands that you have indicated, sorry.

Also, I'm not sure what kind of signals you would find on those bands
which would require the 1MHz band-width of the OsmoSDR.  Typically the
signals there are quite narrow-band, i.e. much simpler receiver design.