Checking out LimeSDR Mini with osmocom. It seems good!!

Gullik Webjorn gullik.webjorn at corevalue.se
Thu Jan 17 23:39:04 UTC 2019

Hello Harald et.al.

On 2019-01-17 23:18, Harald Welte wrote:
> Hi Gullik,
>
> thanks a lot for your extensive measurement and testing, as well as the
> report here to this list.
>
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 04:13:29PM +0100, Gullik Webjorn wrote:
>> So, for practical purposes the LimeSDR mini provides 0 dBm ( +/- 1.4 dBm )
> Yes, that's more in-line with what I remember. Depending on unit and frequency,
> I think the expected level is roughly between 0 and 4 dBm.
>
>> Level on uplink -54 dBm, indicated on spectrum analyzer -53 (-63) dBm.
> So you're saying that the level displayed in the 'show lchan' actually was
> almost exactly the measrued level (-53 dBm)?  That's a very big surprise
> to me.  As far as I understand, the LimeSuite API never reports any absolute values,
> but rather only in dBFS (dB to full scale).  So it's a bit of a mystery
> how you can get such an accurate reading?
Yes, I am surprised myself, but I documented what I saw.
Note also I checked at two different levels. I will probably redo these
tests as
I get a more output and a "better test range".
>> For practical use outside a lab output is far too low. My plan is to add a
>> small simple booster
>> to bring level up to +15 which would allow me to cover my 2 acre lot without
>> breaking any rules.
> We made some osmo-bts-amp / osmo-bts-pa designs and devices some time ago,
> but they only have 10dB gain.  They were made to go from +23 to +33 dBm,
> and not for such low input signals, where higher gain stages are required.
>
> Make surey you carefully look at your spectrum and use transmit filters to
> suppress the harmonics that your PA will be generating.
Yes, currently I use a linear amp designed as a preamp, but output
level is a bit below 1 dB compression point, so we are operating linear,
current output is 8-9 dBm, which enables extending the test range.
I am limited to 100 mW indoor, +20 dBm.