The magic behaviour of 'logging level all LEVEL'

Pau Espin Pedrol pespin at sysmocom.de
Mon Aug 6 13:51:27 UTC 2018

On 30/07/18 20:43, Harald Welte wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 11:16:46AM +0200, Pau Espin Pedrol wrote:
>> So, after your comments and thinking about it, here's my proposal:
>> 1- Take my current patchset
>> 2- Modification: "logging level all <loglevel>" sets the loglevel foreach
>> category, not the target loglevel (aka the default loglevel).
>
> I think the "target loglevel" should/could be abandoned completely.

I think that feature is useful and it's there already anyway, it just
doesn't work correctly in current merged code base.

>> 3- Modification: "logging level unset <loglevel>" is renamed to "logging
>> level default <loglevel>"
>
> IMHO it should be "logging level SUBSYSTEM unset" or "logging level
> SUBSYSTEM default" which would then revert back to the compiled-in level
> for that particular subsystem?
>
> I understand you can un-set or fall-back to the compiled-in default
> of a given sub-system.  But how can you un-set a given *level* ?!?

As explained in the thread, semantically it doesn't make much sense and
that's why I was explaining I was modifying my patchset to remove that,
and use "logging level default <loglevel>" instead, which better
describes the action (setting the default log level to <loglevel>,
meaning unset categories/subystems will use that log level).

These modifications are already presnet in th new version of the
patchset I submited 1-2 weeks ago in gerrit.

--
- Pau Espin Pedrol <pespin at sysmocom.de>         http://www.sysmocom.de/
* Alt-Moabit 93