the near and further future of osmo-nitb

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Tue Feb 14 21:51:14 UTC 2017

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 06:40:04PM +0100, Harald Welte wrote:
> So we migh simply move to a NITB that is split up in BSC, MSC/VLR and
> HLR/AUC, and call the components OsmoBSC (exists already), OsmoHLR
> (exists already) and OsmoMSC (which is still called CSCN).  Or we keep

I like OsmoMSC because it's a name familiar to all GSM network operators, while
every time I write CSCN I feel that I have to explain it because we invented
it. The VLR is also officially a component of the MSC, right?

I'd be ok with calling it MSC before the SMSC is separated, because then we
won't have a rename in our main history besides the move from OsmoNITB to
OsmoMSC. I can rename CSCN to MSC on the branch and then CSCN is poof, gone.

We already have OsmoCSCN named in some blog posts / wiki and a project with
this name on osmocom.org, I guess the sooner we converge to a long term name
(OsmoMSC) the better, to minimize the spread and confusion.

~N