the near and further future of osmo-nitb

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Tue Feb 14 17:40:04 UTC 2017

Hi Neels,

thanks for outlining the roadmap.

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 05:40:01PM +0100, Neels Hofmeyr wrote:

> For Iu and A interfaces (a standalone 3G+2G MSC implementation), we have
> also worked towards a complete separation of libmsc from libbsc. As a
> result, we will probably completely replace OsmoNITB with the new
> OsmoCSCN, meaning "Circuit Switched Core Network"

Originally when we started this 3G related work, CSCN was "NITB without
BSC", i.e.  it included SMSC and HLR/AUC functionalities.  However, as
the VLR/HLR split is also coming to a close now, I'm not sure if we
shoul continue to call it CSCN, or if we should simply call it "MSC".
The only thing "unusual" for a MSC that it still contains at this point
(when both BSC and HLR/AUC have been moved out) is the SMSC.

So we migh simply move to a NITB that is split up in BSC, MSC/VLR and
HLR/AUC, and call the components OsmoBSC (exists already), OsmoHLR
(exists already) and OsmoMSC (which is still called CSCN).  Or we keep
calling it CSCN until the SMS has moved out?