[RFC] Coding Style: Longer Line Lengths?

k at rhizomatica.org k at rhizomatica.org
Sat Apr 1 10:30:48 UTC 2017

On 01/04/2017 11:45, Harald Welte wrote:
>   80 characters is still
> nice here and there, but maybe something like 100, 120 or even 130 might
> actually make the code more readable and permit us to use slightly
> longer identifiers without having to wrap every second statement in the
> code.
>
> What do people generally think here?
Not that I'm coding much on Osmo, well it says RFC.. :-)
I have recently been making at attempt to clean up some python coding
style using pylint and I have been wincing a little at the "standard"
default of a line width of 79, although some arguments in favour do make
sense.

My terminal is generally 120 -140 characters wide. I also use Sublime
Text which usually displays 110 the way I have it.
You mentioned something recently about why would anyone read code in a
web browser, I find myself browsing code more and more on sites such as
github, rather than getting a local copy, via clone or download and
extract etc.
 - I had a conversation recently about how we tend more to lookup quick
reminders of things on the web, even though there are local manpages.
need to get offline more.. :)
Anyway, github site handles 120 chars fine. I guess any issue might be
more with gerrit.

k/