[RFC] Coding Style: Longer Line Lengths?

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sat Apr 1 09:45:17 UTC 2017

Dear all,

[Despite today being April 1st, this is not an april fool's joke]

ever since the start of the Osmocom project, we have adopted pretty much
1:1 the Linux Kernel coding style.

Having a uniform coding style all over the project is important for
readability, and from my point of view it doesn't really matter too much
which style it is, as long as it is uniform accross the projects.

I'm still fine with the Linux kernel coding style for most parts, but I
think we could consider allowing longer lines.  80 characters is still
nice here and there, but maybe something like 100, 120 or even 130 might
actually make the code more readable and permit us to use slightly
longer identifiers without having to wrap every second statement in the
code.

What do people generally think here?