Error in making OsmoNITB on Linux

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Thu Aug 11 18:41:38 UTC 2016

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 06:16:22PM +0100, Abdulghafar Shabaneh wrote:
> Hi Neels
>
> I did build everything again and got the same error, I use git version
> 2.1.4
> there is no PROJECT in the git link you provided but I use the normal ones
> from

As with common shell scripting lingo, the "$PROJECT" was intended to be
replaced with the separate project names following below, and actually you've
done this correctly:

> git clone git://git.osmocom.org/libosmocore.git
> git clone git://git.osmocom.org/libosmo-abis.git
> git clone git://git.osmocom.org/libosmo-netif.git
> git clone git://git.osmocom.org/libosmo-sccp.git
> git clone git://git.osmocom.org/openggsn.git
> git clone git://git.osmocom.org/libsmpp34.git
> git clone git://git.osmocom.org/openbsc.git

I have verified that the build works on my raspberry. I must say it takes
impossibly long to build :)

My pi hasn't been upgraded in a long time (because that also takes impossibly
long). It is still on Debian 7.5.

Here are the things I did for a working build:

# make /usr/local owned by me, so I can install there without sudo
sudo chown -R $USER /usr/local

# install dependencies
sudo apt-get install automake build-essential gcc pkg-config libc-ares-dev libdbi-dev libpcap-dev libpcsclite-dev libsctp-dev libssl-dev libtalloc-dev libtool make libortp-dev libdbd-sqlite3

# make sure all the libraries will be found -- raspberry pi seems to not
# include /usr/local by default. Without this I get an error for openbsc's make
# check that the libosmo-abis.so.5 it not found, in the testsuite.log:
# (note that you have to do this in every shell you open, or include in your
# ~/.profile or something similar.)
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib

# finally clone and build all projects as listed above.
git clone xxx
cd xxx
autoreconf -fi
./configure
make
make check
make install
cd ..

# For openbsc, you need to build in openbsc/openbsc, and I passed these config
./configure --enable-smpp --enable-osmo-bsc --enable-nat

Thus osmo-nitb works:

neels at raspberrypi ~/osmo/openbsc/openbsc/src/osmo-nitb $ ./osmo-nitb -c ../../doc/examples/osmo-nitb/sysmobts/openbsc.cfg
<0005> bsc_init.c:498 VTY at 127.0.0.1 4242
<001d> input/ipaccess.c:838 enabling ipaccess BSC mode
<0016> smpp_smsc.c:978 SMPP at 0.0.0.0 2775
<0005> bsc_hack.c:318 CTRL at 127.0.0.1 4249
DB: Database initialized.
DB: Database prepared.

> I have a text file for each of the terminal output but this is too long.
> Should I send them separately or in one long email. I'll ask in the list
> once you tell me.

If the above instructions still don't resolve the issue:

It would be sufficient to provide all the commands you have issued and the
(final) error message(s) produced. But to make sure that the juicy interesting
bits aren't missing, it's easiest to post it all.

Posting build output should not harm much; last time you posted a screenshot
image file of a small portion of build output, which easily exceeds the file
size of your complete build output in plain text format :)

You can also opt for using services like http://paste.lisp.org

Make sure you don't forget to include the commands you ran to start the build!

~Neels

--
- Neels Hofmeyr <nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de>          http://www.sysmocom.de/
* Alt-Moabit 93