huawei uap 3801e

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Thu Jun 9 06:40:01 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 11:06:50PM +0200, Bthomas wrote:
> Dear OpenBSC users and developers!
> I beseech you, help me with some information.
> Today I bought a 4 pack auction Huawei femtocell UAP 3801. Next to them
> there's no documentation, Huawei has not yet responded to my questions.
> I want them to operate with OpenBSC. Do you think this tool will work with
> it?

I think even for somebody with detailed protocol knowledge, it would be
a multi-man-month development effort to get it working.  You are talking
about WCDMA femtocells, while we have only worked with GSM BTSs.

first of all, this is 3G not 2G.  This means a different system, with
different procedures and different protocols (IuB/IuH, RANAP, etc.)
Only the higher layers like CC and SMS are identical to 2G.

Secondly, the existing femtocells speak mostly proprietary protocols
between the femtocell and the femtocell-gateway inside the operator.

So the first thing I would be looking for is protocol traces of the
femtocells in action, i.e. when they talk to their normal femto-gw.
Based on that, you can start to reverse engineer the protocol.  It can
be done, we have done it for several other femtocell protocols of other
vendors before.  But even after that, we didn't have any time (or
funding) for writing actual code implementing it.