Google Summer of Code 2019

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Tue Jan 15 16:13:49 UTC 2019

Hi Vadim,

On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 10:42:05AM +0700, Vadim Yanitskiy wrote:
> starting from 16th of January (until 7th of February) we can apply
> Google Summer of Code as an Open source mentor organization.

Thanks.  It's something that I've been pondering several times in the
past, too.  I know Holger did it once for Osmocom in the past, AFAIR,
and in netfilter (where I was involved before) we also participated
in GSoC.

The results were - as any results from new developers - mixed.  But
I think it's a good opportunity to get new people involved in the project.

> Personally, I think it's a great opportunity to move some of our
> projects forward. I would like to know your opinions about this
> idea, should we participate? I would be happy to be a mentor.

I think it's a good idea and I'd support it.  I just know that given the
many projects I'm already way too late with and overloaded, I will not
be able to personally mentor a GSoC student.

So I'm happy to help with formailtiies, etc. - but that's about it, sorry.