osmocom-bb compilation problems

Nikos Balkanas nbalkanas at gmail.com
Sun May 13 18:28:57 UTC 2018

Hi Sylvain,

I didn't realize it when you responded, but <sys/_types.h> is a toolchain
problem, and you just nailed it.
Cool:)

Early on, before it was pointed to me to use the Getting Started wiki, I
used the src/README.building file,
which is a normal practice for all unix developers/admins. When I couldn't
find the gnuarm.com toolchain, I searched the web
for ubuntu toolchains and found the linaro one, gcc-arm-linux-gnueabi,
which doesn't provide <sys_types.h>.
No dev version either:(
So, when using that toolchain, I had to come up with the missing
<sys/_types.h>, and the only one I could find
was from vivado:(

Is there a point to my life's story? Just to pont out into how much
problems one can get with the wrong README file.
I realize that building procedure must be defined and maintained in 1
place, either the wiki or the README file.
The wiki is a non standard unix location, but a more convenient one. I
propose to fix the info in README.building,
to avoid future issues. The fix can be as simple as "Prerequisite is the
armel toolchain. Check the <wiki url> for installation"

HTH
Nikos