OsmocomBB compile testing / Re: libosmocore embedded build

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Mon May 29 12:42:38 UTC 2017

Hi Craig,

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 06:48:06PM +0000, Craig Comstock wrote:

> I was thinking about how to setup an automated real device test for
> the repo and/or PRs especially. I have devices and cables, just was
> thinking about how to automate the re-loading of firmware (via an
> interface to the power button I suppose).

I think there has been some work by Peter and/or Kevin (Cc) on setting
up OsmocomBB phones with a power supply (emulating a battery) and using
some serial handshake line (next to the UART) to simulate power button
presses in the past.  Peter?  Kevin?

It would be great if you'd be willing to set up such as system, document
it and then integate it.

I think you don't even need your own base setation.  Simple test cases
for OsmocomBB could include:

* running bcch_scan and check that certain (known strong) cells in the
  neigbhorhood are found

* trying to register to a given network using unknwon/expired IMSI and
  confirming that the channel is established and a LU REJECT is received

With such a test rig we could then automatically test every new
libosmocore and osmcoom-bb commit to verify that it still performs basic
receive and even basic rx+tx functionality.

> Any work ongoing on this front?

I don't think there's much happening in OsmocomBB for many years, sadly.