OsmocomBB compile testing / Re: libosmocore embedded build

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Thu May 18 18:24:30 UTC 2017

Hi Andre and others.

We currently have a series of patches from Vadim pending in gerrit for
OsmocomBB.  They cannot move ahead, as we have no compile testing /
jenkins job which would give this a +1.

To resolve this, we should also start to have a jenkins compile testing
job for OsmocomBB.  The "host" (PC) part of the code is built against
regular libosmocore, just like e.g. openbsc or osmo-bts.  That should be
possible even so far, and it might make sense to start with that.

Basically you need to:
* git clone osmocom-bb
* cd src/host/layer23
* regular 'autoreconf -fi && ./configure && make'

compile-testing the 'embedded' (firmware) part is not possible easily in
the current master.  However, as a second step, and after the
libosmocore embedded build has run (and it is installed to
/usr/local/arm-none-eabi), and if you use the laforge/remove-libosmocore
branch in OsmocomBB, you should also be able to compile-test the
firmware using

* git clone osmocom-bb
* cd src/target/firmware && make

There currently is no "make check" tests for either the host utilities
or the firmware, and of course we have no clue if the resulting binaries
will do anything useful on an actual pone [yet!], but I still think the
two steps above would be very useful to move ahead, and to unify the
patch submission/review/verification/approval/merge process in gerrit
with what we have established for the network-side projects like OsmoBTS
& co.