Connecting OsmocomBB to OpenBTS

Tomcsányi Domonkos domi at tomcsanyi.net
Sun Mar 26 17:19:26 UTC 2017

Hi Usama,

> I'm guessing I would need to perform surgery on OSMOCOM-BB code in order to connect it to another network? Is there any in built feature that would allow me to do so directly?

I'm not sure what you mean by performing surgery, but I would encourage you to look at the mobile application that is capable of connecting to a network using an OsmocomBB phone.
http://osmocom.org/projects/baseband/wiki/Mobile <http://osmocom.org/projects/baseband/wiki/Mobile>

> Lastly, is there any added benefit in using OsmoBTS over OpenBTS when it comes to connectivity to the network?

OsmoBTS is one of the many Osmocom projects and it is (in my opinion) a better implementation to run your own network than OpenBTS. OsmoTRX+OsmoBTS+OsmoNITB work together great and they use standard interfaces to communicate. They are widely used to provide GSM connectivity at various events and therefore could be considered a bit more bulletproof and robust than OpenBTS.
However if OpenBTS works well for you and your purposes then it is not necessary to change.

Cheers,

Domi