Fun with the MTK 6573 Baseband (Patching / Replacing)

Craig Comstock craig_comstock at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 13 03:21:39 UTC 2017

I don't have the files mentioned in that patch. They look very much like some part of an Android source code tree. So far I am working mostly not with Android at all... only osmocom-bb, nuttx, fernly and fernvale-nuttx.

My work on the newer MT chip in the ZTE Obsidian is a ways down the road. One thing that was VERY encouraging is that I have tested the beginnings of interaction with it's bootloader (as in the fernly project)
and it seems at least the initial MSG and ACK from the bootloader works the same as for fernly types of MT chips (6260/6261). So that might be a good starting point in terms of experimenting/fuzzing/???

Maybe you could find a custom rom source tree and find those files that are being patched.

In terms of participating in my project, I have a github repo and am primarily using the fernvale board I purchased from sysmocom as well as some mt6260/6261 based watches and the Seeed Studio RePhone.

So I'd say go get one or more of those things and start hacking on fernly, fernvale-nuttx, osmocom-bb and nuttx-bb (combo of osmocom-bb and nuttx).

I don't work too hard on the project. This branch is my latest not-working work in progress:

https://github.com/craigcomstock/osmocom-bb/tree/feb-22-2017-mt62xx-wip

I have since changed my strategy and so this branch will likely rot. :( But it might give some indication of what I'm up to.

-Craig