Make Errors

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 20:38:39 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 5:02 AM, Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> wrote:
> Jeffrey Walton wrote:
>> > /home/shahzad/arm/osmocom-bb/src/target/firmware/include/asm/swab.h:
>> > Assembler messages:
>> > /home/shahzad/arm/osmocom-bb/src/target/firmware/include/asm/swab.h:32:
>> > Error: no such instruction: `eor %edx,%ecx,%ecx,ror'
>> Looks like a path problem. Ensure the assembler (AS) for the target is
>> on-path; and not the host's assembler.
>
> Read the error message and think about that one more time.
>
> The problem is not the assembler but the header file.
That's an assembler error message. It does not matter where the ASM came from.

You'd can get a similar error for inline ASM on a native (non-cross
compile) build. For example, using AVX's pclmulqdq instruction on an
older intel assembler that did not understand pclmulqdq would produce
a similar result. See, for example,
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/cryptopp-users/6tCoUzsvXcM:

> The original poster isn't building against a cross-compiled libosmocore.
Oh, my bad. So OP is building for x86/x86_64, but the header file only
makes available ARM routine? If so, I would think the ARM ASM would be
guarded in appropriate define.

Jeff