Which is the best branch for running mobile on DP-L10?

ubuntugirl ubuntugirl2013 at gmail.com
Mon May 13 07:11:30 UTC 2013

On 5/12/13, Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> wrote:
> Is it actually losing contact?

I thought that's what the "% Searching network..." line implied - or
does it not?

How else would I test it? If there is a loss of network contact
indeed, it is rather brief, probably a little less than a second -
hence a direct test of reachability for MT calls/SMS would be
difficult.

> Is it the cell re-selection procedure?
>
> Terminals periodically scan for surrounding cells in order to switch
> if they see a better one.

OK, I guess I can see that a phone has no way of knowing that it is
stationary, so it has to execute that periodic procedure "just in
case". But does this process require temporarily breaking the link
with the current serving cell in order to check out the others? What
if an incoming call or SMS happens to arrive right at that moment?

All I'm saying is that to a "lay" end user seeing "Searching
network..." in the UI means "oh sh*t, my phone is out of coverage or
marginal - bad!". I'm trying to figure out if that is indeed what's
going on, or if, considering the not-yet-for-end-users nature of
OsmocomBB, the messages being printed by mobile mean something totally
different from the naturally expected end-user meaning.

Kim