Encrypted GSM phone

Nathan Freitas nathan at freitas.net
Wed May 9 15:54:27 UTC 2012

On 05/09/2012 11:21 AM, Aaron Zauner wrote:
> i'm also still following this, but it seems to be a dead end.
>
> off-topic:
> current smartphones already have the capability to run sms[1]/voice
> encryption software or voip with encryption [2].
>
> [1] https://github.com/whispersystems/textsecure
> [2] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.privategsm.beta

The Guardian Project is working on an open, interoperable secure VoIP
stack and best practices as well:

Open Secure Telephony Network
- public testbed: https://ostel.me/
- research wiki: https://guardianproject.info/wiki/OSTN

Encrypting GSM without IP is possible, but in my experience of real
world use, it is incredibly difficult to make work between carriers,
countries, and generally the CDPD or second digital channel for
something like Cryptophone to work on, is near impossible to active on
most operators today.

+n