Tooling up for osmocom, gnuradio, and android ... suggestions ?

Alexander Huemer alexander.huemer at xx.vu
Thu Jul 19 07:04:47 UTC 2012

Hi John,

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 05:43:08AM +0000, John Case wrote:

> I am a mac and NetBSD user and have not run any linux systems for
> many years. I have never used Debian/Ubuntu/etc.
Now that's an interesting combination! ;)

> Now I would like to begin doing work with osmocom, GNU radio, SDRs
> and some android development.
>
> I knw it's a religious question, but since I am starting with a
> completely blank slate, what would be the simplest, most painless
> distro to set up a development and build environment (cross
> compiling for arm, building osmocom, gnu radio, and running android
> development tools and SDKs) ?
>
> I assume the answer must be either Debian or Ubuntu, but really have
> no idea ... comments ?
Most developers use Debian, it works as expected.
IIRC somebody in the past tried to package something from *.osmocom.org
for netbsd. Search the ML archive.
At least libosmocore compiles on freebsd[1].
Did you try to compile osmocombb on netbsd? I'd be interested in the
results.

> [...]

Kind regards,
-Alexander Huemer