Custom calypso board

Joachim Steiger roh at hyte.de
Wed Jul 11 23:06:34 UTC 2012

Harald Welte wrote:
[...]
> However, now that I think of it, PCIe requires PCB thickness to be
> different (1.5mm) from what we are hading for (more like .8 or 1mm).
>
> So I guess I'll scrap that idea.

what about making it 2 pcb?

one 'gsm module' with 'plated half holes'* and or board to board conn.
one 'carrier board' which then has the right thickness for the pcie-con.

that way the sandwhich is mechanical stable and the rf performance
shouldnt be tampered with and can even serve as additional shielding if
needed (e.g. make side opposite to the modem gnd flat).

this makes the modules as small as possible for integration into
different kinds of carriers or even a full phone.

what do you think?

[*]
http://www.multi-circuit-boards.eu/en/pcb-design-aid/design-parameters/plated-half-holes.html

--