Custom calypso board

Mathias K. kesmtp at freenet.de
Wed Jul 11 11:38:29 UTC 2012

On 11.07.2012 12:21, Harald Welte wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 11:39:21AM +0200, Mathias K. wrote:
>> On 11.07.2012 10:26, Harald Welte wrote:
>>> the core modem design is 40 x 29.8mm in size, but that of course
>>> excludes things like the sim card reader, or any other new components we
>>> may add.
>>
>> So it looks like the MiniPCI Express Card on this picture http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MiniPCI_and_MiniPCI_Express_cards.jpg
>> ?
>
> I was thinking of a full-size PCIe connector like in desktop PC use.
> This allows the modems to be 90degree angle from the main board.  The
> miniPCIe or miniPCI connectors require the modem to be flat on top of
> the base board, reducing the density and increasing PCB size of that
> backplane.

Do you mean the x16 with full-size PCIe?

Size/Pins:

PCI Express ×1 - 25mm - 36 pins
PCI Express ×4 - 39mm - 64 pins
PCI Express ×8 - 56mm - 98 pins
PCI Express ×16 - 89mm - 164 pins

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PCIExpress.jpg

Do you have done some pinout done? The x16 (full size) is a really huge as connector.

>> I think the initial hurdle to get it run on the table is really high
>> with this kind of connector.
>
> Well, we can always make a simple PCIe break-out board that you can plug
> the modem into.  That break-out could then provide you with a 2.54mm
> pitch standard header.  Would that work?

Sounds good.

Regards,

Mathias