PLMN Scan Rate when off network

Kurtis Heimerl kheimerl at cs.berkeley.edu
Tue Apr 24 06:00:52 UTC 2012

Hi Baseband,

I'm trying to figure out if there's any standard set for how often a
handset should scan for signal when out of coverage. I haven't been
able to find much, just the following in 3GPP TS 22.011:

3.2.2.2 At switch-on or recovery from lack of coverage
If registration cannot be achieved on any PLMN, the UE shall indicate
"no service" to the user, wait until a new PLMN is detected, or new
location areas of an allowed PLMN are found which are not in the
forbidden LA list(s), and then repeat the procedure. When registration
cannot be achieved, different (discontinuous) PLMN search schemes may
be used in order to minimize the access time while maintaining battery
life, e.g. by prioritising the search in favour of BCCH carriers which
have a high probability of belonging to an available and allowable
PLMN.

Sounds like it's up to each manufacturer to just pick a delay? Any
other thoughts/intuitions which might help us bound this number?

Thanks!