Mobile phone to act as RF frequency sesnor and detector

Andreas Eversberg andreas at eversberg.eu
Mon Apr 16 19:30:48 UTC 2012

Winston Ojenge wrote:
> Dear all,
> I lecture at strathmore university, Kenya, East Africa. For my PhD, i
> need to develop a cell-phone model that senses and recognizes a
> specific RF frequency from a source. It then submits the value of that
> frequency by SMS.
>
> Is it possible to use the OsmocomBB platform to program such a device
> using motorola C123?
>
> Ojenge
>

> On 4/16/12, Winston Ojenge<wojenge at strathmore.edu>  wrote:
>> Dear all,
>> I lecture at strathmore university, Kenya, East Africa. For my PhD, i
>> need to develop a cell-phone model that senses and recognizes a
>> specific RF frequency from a source. It then submits the value of that
>> frequency by SMS.
>>
>> Is it possible to use the OsmocomBB platform to program such a device
>> using motorola C123?
>>
>> Ojenge

hi ojenge,

osmocombb supports sms. you can also "sense" RF frequence, but you need
to add some feature to do measurement at the first plane and then send
the sms with the results. c123 is capable of receiving GSM downlink
frequencies only. you may also receive uplink and even (with
modifications to the firmware) receive frequencies a bit outside GSM
bands. in this case you need to replace filters or your signal level is
reduced. the osmocombb firmware is capable of measuring rx levels of
given frequencies while being idle on a gsm cell. what do you want to
"sense"?

regards,

andreas