baseband-devel Digest, Vol 20, Issue 1

Paul Gardner-Stephen paul at servalproject.org
Thu Sep 1 12:30:34 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 7:30 PM,
<baseband-devel-request at lists.osmocom.org> wrote:
Hello,

Thank you Dieter and Scott for your fast responses.

I had assumed that the modulation would be fixed in this way, and it
is not an issue for what I am wanting to do. In fact, it makes a lot
of sense to keep the GSM modulation for simplicity.

> Then there is the DSP which does the signal processing work. Its
> again tied to the GSM standard (format of the burst and length).
> It might be possible to put something else into the relativ small
> RAM inside the DSP, but this could be a huge effort.

This seems to me to be the hardest part of the whole process.
When you say a huge effort, do you think it would be possible for
someone to be able to get something working if they were able to work
on it full-time for a few months?

> Besides that you have to modify the hardware of the phone (remove
> a filter) so that the phone can receive another phone. But this
> is probably the smallest problem of all.

Indeed, this is the smallest problem I think.  In fact, if we use the
part of the ISM915 band that is right next to the GSM band, then my
understanding is the filter will only attenuate by a few db --
although I am happy to be corrected on this point.

> Best regards,
>  Dieter
> --
> Dieter Spaar, Germany                           spaar at mirider.augusta.de

We are exploring that path simultaneously, and have a batch of the
exactly the HopeRF modules that we will use, to demonstrate the range
and utility of using the ISM band for long-range mesh telephony.

But it is important also that we prove that it can be done using the
baseband radio in a phone.

We all know that it can if we have the freedom to design the baseband
radio from scratch, but that it can also be done it is also important
that I show that for handsets where the baseband radio can be
reprogrammed without changing the hardware.

It all boils down to being able to deflect any straw arguments that
might be raised against the feasibility of long-range mesh telephony
using baseband radio.

Paul.