Testing protocol stack with OsmocomBB (cheap way)

Drasko DRASKOVIC drasko.draskovic at gmail.com
Mon May 30 22:31:21 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 12:18 AM, Gianni Tedesco
<gianni at scaramanga.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-05-31 at 00:05 +0200, Drasko DRASKOVIC wrote:
>> Hi Gianni,
>> after few hours of searching through the wiki pages, I have not been
>> able to find the document you were mentioning that would explain
>> attaching to cell and have some packet transfered through protocol
>> stack up to the Wireshark.
>>
>> Are you sure that this document still exist and not have been removed/replaced ?
>>
>> All I have found that can resemble is this :
>> http://bb.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/layer23
>> but I guess that this is not what you are talking about, as it gives
>> no detailed instructions for the things I want to obtain (i.e. which
>> applications to start, in which order, what are things to observe,
>> etc...).
>
> Pretty much, but also look at the page for your specific phone model and
> http://bb.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/osmocon
>
> Basically you just need to use osmocon to load the layer1 firmware,
> power the phone up and then if 'mobile' (or whatever app you want) is
> running, it should be "all systems go". You can run
> mobile/cell_log/whatever before or after booting the phone and it'll be
> fine.
>
>> I tried some basic test by watching OsocomBB video presentations, as
>> these are closest instructions and recepies on tools usage I have
>> found to get one up and running, and I described troubles I have been
>> facing in previous mail - I tried to guess what can be the right
>> scenario as I find no docs, but I am still not able to synchronize to
>> any cell, nor have some packets coming...
>
> It's not a complicated scenario and is well explained on the wiki:
>
> We have a firmware for the phone that we compiled on the PC
>
> We have a data cable between phone and PC
>
> The firmware does low level things
>
> Other apps running on the PC do high level things (eg. mobile phone)
>
> We use a loader program (osmocon) to load the firmware from the PC on to
> the phone via the cable.
>
> After the firmware is running on the phone, we can run high level apps
> on the PC (mobile, cell_log, etc).
>
> The high level apps communicate to the phone via the communication
> channel setup by the loader.
>
> Most (all?) of the high level apps have a command line switch which
> tells them to transmit GSMTAP logs to a specific IP address.
>
> You can use tcpdump to capture the GSMTAP info and view it in wireshark.

Yes, thanks. I gotten that. What I meant is more like some
instructions how to get the system running, this what I am trying to
achieve. Now, as you can see there is a lot of information spread all
around and I have hard time to get them together in a meaningful
picture.

What troubles me the most is these kind of information that are
missing, for example :
- start this application first, then this one
- LOST message is OK
- there is no SIM simulated, and you can not do anything without SIM,
which is not supported on the master
- connect this to this to get logs in Wireshark
- etc...

Some kind of a tutorial that would prevent every starter to get stuck.

Thanks for your help, things are beginning to be clearer.

BR,
Drasko