Order of functions to transmit and receive using layer1

Calvin Balke cbalke at charter.net
Sat Mar 12 22:33:32 UTC 2011

     I was wondering how to transmit and receive using layer1.  I have
been reading some of the gsm specs.   I have been looking around in the
source code a lot, and there many functions that are used for transmit
and receive.  Which are the right few to use?  Is there any way to send
a text message to a different phone by simulating a base station?  Do I
need two phones or one phone to transmit and receive as a base station?
Is there any way to make a half duplex base station on a BCCH channel
with only one subscriber phone at a time, and what would that entail
code-wise?  Would it be legal to run a very low power base station in
the USA on a different unused cellular band/frequency?  I have a lot of
free time since I do school at home and I could probably help develop
some new parts of the osmocom-bb project if you want me to.  I know C,
some x86 assembly, and a few other languages.  I have also had practice
fixing compile-time errors, and bugs in code.  I apologize if this is
too many questions. You don't have to answer them all if you don't want to.

Thank you for helping,
Calvin E. Balke