Cygwin Windows --> Accessing serial port.

R M rm.engineer84 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 17:41:37 UTC 2011

Hi,

I am a bit confused about the kind of cable I need to use.

I have read the wiki about the calypso serial cable at

http://bb.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/CalypsoSerialCable

It says:

The Calypso phones typically all have a serial port @ 3.3V levels on the
2.5mm earphone jack.

Those cables are sometimes called *T191 unlock cable*.

You can either buy ready-made cables, e.g. at:

   - USB variant
      - gsmliberty.net<http://www.gsmliberty.net/shop/motorola-t191-dataunlock-cable-p-1252.html>
      - fonefunshop.co.uk<http://www.fonefunshop.co.uk/datacables/motorola.htm>
      - gsmserver<http://gsmserver.com/cables/Smart-Clip_Cable_for_Compal_Chi_Mei_based_phones.php>
   - RS232 variant, you still need a separate standard USB/RS232 cable
      - handy-style.de <http://www.handy-style.de/index/cat190/2130>
      - cellcorner.com<http://www.cellcorner.com/xshp/unlock-phone-codes/motorola-t190-t191-t193-unlock-data-cable.html>
   - USB/RS232 cable
      - tronisoft.com <http://www.tronisoft.com/cat_usbtoserial.php> (FTDI
      and Prolific cables)

If you click on cellcorner.com, you get a serial version of T191 unlock
cable.

I have purchased a similar cable not from that link but from a local shop
near my home. (I am from India).

The reason I have purchased the serial version is that the local shop only
has the serial version.

You have said in the wiki for the serial version, I still need a separate
standard USB/RS232 cable.

Why do I need a USB/RS232 cable ?

If its a laptop, I can understand that they don't come with a serial port so
you need the converter.

Many PCs come with a serial port.

Can I not connect the serial version of the T191 unlock cable to PC serial
port?

As far as I understand, the T191 unlock cable is used to convert RS232
signal level to 3.3V required by C128.

I have a laptop and not a PC. It doesn't have a serial port.

Since I was able to get hold of a serial version of T191 unlock cable as I
told you in the begining of the mail, I also purchased a USB to Serial
converter. Its a BAFO BF-810.
Its based on Prolific chipset.

So I connected first the USB/RS232 converter  ju(BAFO BF-810) and then the
serial version of the T191 unlock cable.

Is this the right way ?
   OR
Can I just connect the USB/R232 converter (based on Prolific chipset) and
the use a cable which contains DB9 female on one side and 2.5mm jack on the
other?

I am asking the second question because you have mentioned in the wiki under
Hints and Warnings like this:

If you don't use a 3.3V (low voltage TTL, LVCMOS) serial port you can fry
your phone! (internally, it connects to the IO-pins of the baseband
processor which run at 2.8V). *Don't connect directly to your PCs serial
port (running at +/- 12V!).*

Regards,
RM