OT: GTA04 - Openmoko

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Thu Jul 28 15:36:25 UTC 2011

Hi Benjamin,

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 10:44:25AM +0200, Benjamin Hagemann wrote:
> http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-main/

thanks a lot.  However, just for the record: GTA04 is not about any kind
of Free / Open Source Software for the baseband processor of the mobile
phone.  While they are liberating the hardware design and software for
the application processor side, the GSM/3G module is a regular
off-the-shelf component.

I'm not saying that this is something  bad or that it is a problem for
me.  In fact, what the GTA04 folks have been pulling off is a lot of
work...  Having done significant work on GTA01 / GTA02 hardware,
bring-up and system-level software myself, I think I can definitely
appreciate the work they are doing.

However, as far as OsmocomBB is concerned, it is out of scope and
unrelated.