IS-95 / CDMA

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Wed Jul 27 07:17:13 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 09:00:34AM -0400, miprom68 at gmail.com wrote:

> I've read a lot about how secretive and insecure GSM is, but nothing
> about IS-95 (the CDMA 2G equivalent). Why not? It is more secure, or
> do not many phones support it anymore, or does it not have enough
> worldwide market penetration to be relevant?

Is that actually still used anywhere on this planet?  I know that there
are CDMA2K/EV-DO networks, but 2G CDMA?

Also, the research always depends on the initiative of individuals.  So
far, all the people I know in the 'open GSM research' community tend to
be from Europe, with a strong focus on Germany.

OpenBTS folks are in the US, but their focus is not really that much on
the security side.

So if you want to do research in other mobile communications systems /
protocols, by all means do so.  It depends on people like you who have
an interest in it to simply do it.

osmocom.org would be more than happy to provide you with hosting, trac, git,
etc. if you are going to work in that field.