running voice data/encryption on compal?

Wesley Tanner wesley.tanner at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 00:15:16 UTC 2011

Hi all,

This particular problem domain is why I originally became interested in this
project. In fact I just bought a couple C118s and now have them running the
current build as of yesterday.

There has been additional work done in the academic world on
"data-over-voice" the last few years, mainly out of Chinese and Iranian
universities. Some of them claim reliable data rates of 2000 bps or higher
(not including error correction), which is good enough for low data rate
vocoders (e.g. speex). A search on IEEE comes up with a bunch of papers, and
some have fairly detailed design data. Most are optimized for EFR, and some
for AMR. Some claim to be computationally efficient enough for
implementation on modern smart phones.

So far, the modems have been implemented at the audio interface of the
handset, not the raw OTA compressed voice frames. I believe a project such
as this will make it possible to improve these modems by being able to
directly control the content of the traffic frames. At the very least, I
think it will aid in synchronization issues between the end points, and
easier handling of VAD/DTX/CNG.

The problem is made very difficult because of transcoding done within the
network. And, depending on the call, there may be different transcode
operations between end points (or maybe none at all?). Also, the voice frame
parameters are not all protected equally from channel errors. My hope was to
actually start characterizing network transcode behaviors, since I have not
yet found any real data on this. It is possible to do this without access to
the traffic frames, but it makes for more complex test cases.

At any rate it is an interesting problem.

-Wes