running voice data/encryption on compal?
laforge at gnumonks.org
Fri Jan 14 20:29:28 UTC 2011
the usual problems with end-to-end encryption in GSM come into play:
* as the voice path is not transparent but transcoded any number of times
in the core network, you cannot simply encrypt the codec frames but gqwill
have to initiate a CSD ('modem') connection.
* not many networks support it anymore
* calling rates are more expensive
* you immediately leave a visible trail, since nobody else uses CSD
And no, neither is the ARM7 fast enough for any crypto, nor do we implement
CSD at all.
- Harald Welte <laforge at gnumonks.org> http://laforge.gnumonks.org/
"Privacy in residential applications is a desirable marketing option."
(ETSI EN 300 175-7 Ch. A6)
More information about the baseband-devel