Creating a real usable phone using OsmocomBB

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Tue Dec 13 12:45:09 UTC 2011

Hi Alexander,

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 02:02:34PM +0300, Alexander Chemeris wrote:

> I want to point that except usual mobile phones there are GSM modems which
> do not require any UI and thus require less work to be done. Also they are
> often connected to a power grid and don't have strict power consumption
> limits. And at last, but not at least modem users often need some peculiat
> functionality, which they would love to see embedded. And that's where
> OsmocomBB stands out significantly from all existing modems.
>
> I'm not sure if there are any modems based on Calypso chipset, but even a
> phone serving as a modem may suffice in some cases.

I don't think thre is much point to that.  If you have an industrial
embedded/m2m application, then the first thing you worry about is
reliability.  There you want to have a GSM stack that is tested and
evaluated thoroughly, and which is deployed for a decade or two, in as
many networks as possible.

Sierra, Cinterion, Wavecom and others have a well-established market,
and their products do very well in adressing that markets needs.  I
don't see what OsmoocmBB would bring that they'd require.

The target user for the "OsmocomBB based phone" would be primarily a
"free software enthusiast", i.e. somebody who likes Free Software for
the fredom that it has.  And such users are interested in real
telephones, notin modems for embedded systems.