Wanted: Osmocom logo

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Fri Jul 30 18:49:28 UTC 2010

Hi Jason,

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 01:15:51PM -0400, Jason wrote:

> >It's about time that we find some kind of graphical project logo for the
> >Osmocom project.
> >
> >Osmocom is intended as an umbrella project for software like
> >OpenBSC, OsmoSGSN, OsmocomBB and others.
> >

> The first thing that jumped to mind was Tux with the GSM signal strength bars
> on his belly.  :-)  Then I remembered that while Linux is used in the
> development process, it doesn't run on the intended hardware... oops.  Has
> Tux transcended Linux? Can he symbolize any open source effort?

well, OpenBSC, OsmoSGSN, OpenGGSN and even layer23, osmcom, osmoload, etc.
all run on the host PC, preferrably running Linux.  So besides the firmware
part, everything else actually has somewhat of a connection to Linux - though
not really.  Dieter runs everything but OsmoSGSN on Windows, and it should
be pretty portable on any POSIX OS.

So yes, I agree, referring to tux is probably not the best idea in our logo.