Request for review: GSM phone hardware introduction

fgiff fgiff at fsfe.org
Tue Apr 13 20:46:00 UTC 2010

Hi,

You've done a good and useful overview of the AP+BP architecture, but I
think you need to rethink describing this as something that
differentiates a smartphone from a feature phone.

I agree that there's no industry definition of feature phone vs.
smartphone, but I don't agree with your suggestion that a feature phone
has just the BP and a smartphone a BP and AP. For me, a feature phone is
voice calls plus some features (music, camera etc.) and smartphone is
voice calls and installable native software (i.e. not J2ME). It's a
marketing difference more than anything.

Regards,

Frans