Request for review: GSM phone hardware introduction

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Wed Apr 14 21:14:42 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 12:34:36PM +0200, willem wrote:
> On 2010-04-13 21:07:08, Harald Welte wrote:
> > Hi Jake (and others),

> >> Do you have the latex available? It's hard to edit and send a diff of a
> >> pdf...
> >>

> did you omit qualcomm in your list of baseband manufacturers
> intentionaly? because it produces mostly cdma and 3g chipsets, and not gsm?

yes, that's why I ignored Qualcomm.

> i have several additions to your document:

thanks!

> == in the list in subsection{MCU peripherals}
> \item Audio routing, selecting how audio is routed in the phone, between
> AP, BB, carspeaker,headset, mediaspeaker, phonespeaker and microphone

good point - though a lot of complexity is only required in the
smartphone case.

> == addition to \subsection{The Digital Baseband (DBB)}
>
> The baseband MCU usually runs a realtime operating system(RTOS), like
> nucleus, vxworks, or l4k.

i've added it, but to the software architecture part.

> == a subsection in section{Miscellaneous Topics}

thanks.  I've rewritten this entirely and added a number of security
related sub-sections to the document.

Please find the new version v0.3 attached.