PATCH: 5x8 font

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sat Apr 10 07:26:05 UTC 2010

Hi Christian,

first of all thanks for your patch.

I think it is great to have a better/smaller font.  However,
I cannot merge the patch as-is, as I have the following comments:

1) we need a way to select between individual fonts when writing
   to the display.  I think in the long run it is inevitable that
   we'll use small and big letters on screen and have to select/
   switch between them.
   Something like display_select_font(FONT_5x8) to be called
   before a display_puts() sounds like a reasonable API for this.

2) Removing all the special characters might not be the best idea to do.
   If at all, it should be a compile time option whether or not to drop
   the special characters.
   Also, the check for replacing a character with '?' needs to be
   a font-specific and not a global decision.

3) introducing the new font should be one patch, fixing the 'miss
   topmost line' another patch, and any experimental changes to
   hello_world/main.c should be yet another patch.  This way we
   can keep the commitlog a bit more clean.

I hope you're willing to rework your code, thanks in advance!