UHD support for tuning on UmTRX

Alexander Chemeris alexander.chemeris at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 04:36:46 UTC 2012

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 8:57 PM, Alexander Chemeris
<alexander.chemeris at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 2:40 PM, Alexander Chemeris
> <alexander.chemeris at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  Changes are based on the Sergey Kostanbaev's work to move all our
>> LMS6002 control from umtrx_lms.py script to the UHD. The next most
>> important things to get working there are:
>>  * gains control aka VGA1/VGA2 in LMS
>>  * antenna control aka PA/LNA selection in LMS
>>  * bandwidth filtering control aka LPF filters in LMS
>
> I've implemented this three controls in the
> 'fairwaves/uhd-integration' branch in git and tested with a couple of
> uhd utilities. Now we should make use of them in OpenBTS and then
> these changes could go to the 'fairwaves/umtrx' branch.

Looks like with this changes OpenBTS could be just run and it will
work. For the best performance you still have to perform manual
operations, but if you just want to run OpenBTS for lab experiments,
you should be fine with it.

Again, I've updated the wiki to reflect this progress. I also wrote
there a short manual how to choose "rxgain", "RSSITarget" and "power"
values to get the best coverage for your particular hardware setup:
http://code.google.com/p/umtrx/wiki/RunningOpenBTS

A list of the most important things ToDo right now:
 * set LPF bandwidth and other important options from OpenBTS
 * implement LMS automatic calibration utilities in UHD
 * define a good initialization values for UmTRX
 * implement loopback option for LMS in UHD and get I/Q balance
utilities working (see achemeris/iq_cal_hack branch for initial
attempt)
 * make all GnuRadio applications to work with UmTRX

CEO, Fairwaves LLC / ООО УмРадио