Hackathon results: working Rx

Alexander Chemeris alexander.chemeris at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 20:13:02 UTC 2012

Hi all,

Another two days of intensive hackathon are over and OpenBTS now runs
with UmTRX. This is thanks to the earlier efforts of Thomas Tsou and
bugfixes from Thurs hackathon.

Few things which we planned, but haven't finished:
 1. Dual-channel mode doesn't work yet. We nailed down this to the
SR_TX_CTRL register position in FPGA, but haven't found a fix yet. To
get dual-channel working we have to move SR_TX_CTRL to another place
to free some space for the second channel registers. But when we do
that, the first Tx channel stops working.
 2. Sergey Kostanbaev started working on integration of essential LMS
controls into UHD, but hasn't finished this yet. When done, this will
greatly reduce number of manual steps to get OpenBTS running and will
make it possible to use all those GnuRadio utils without limitations.
 3. We still have to repeat results by Thomas and Sylvain where they
get good quality GMSK from OpenBTS. What we get right now is quite
crappy.

Many thanks to all participants who contributed their time and passion
during these long days and to Sylvain for helping to tame our E4406E.

CEO, Fairwaves LLC / ООО УмРадио