UmTRX Digest, Vol 4, Issue 35

Alexander Chemeris alexander.chemeris at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 18:26:32 UTC 2012

Hi Darby,

On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 10:08 PM, Darby <darbysgoodies at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 1. Power supply, 12V-18V DC, >=20W.
>> I think it's easier to find a PSU with a standard round DC connector,
>> like this one and thus we need a converter cable to our Molex power
>> connector.
>> http://domino2.kycon.com/catalog_PDF/KLDX_SMT2.pdf
>
> Not knowing center pin polarity or exact center pin size, it seems as
> though digikey (http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/power-supplies-external-internal-off-board/ac-dc-desktop-wall-transformers)
> has 348 that are 12-18v output, 10-20w, and have connectors that are
> 2.1mm ID to 2.5mm ID

I haven't realized that DigiKey, Avnet and others have PSU section, thanks!

> On a side note, for power -Something that could come in useful since
> its got ethernet, PoE?

PoE is an option, but UmTRX require too much power for the standard
PoE and we think that for lab usage PoE is an overkill.

>> 2. Enclosure. We'd love to have a nice table-top enclosure for UmTRX,
>> but it requires a significant effort to source, design and assemble.
>
> If anyone has some preexisting case designs, there's always protocase
> (protocase.com) or Rapid sheet metal
> (http://www.rapidsheetmetal.com/parts/enclosures.aspx) -Im sure theres
> plenty of other sheetmetal fabshops that will do custom work though,
> If youre wanting to use something a bit more generic -Theres
> enclosurehub.com

Interesting. Do you know similar ones in Europe? We manufacture in
France and shipping enclosures from US doesn't look like a good idea.

CEO, Fairwaves LLC / ООО УмРадио