Problems with inaccurate assembled UmTRXv2

John Orlando john at epiqsolutions.com
Sun Nov 11 21:59:28 UTC 2012

<snip>

> A visual inspection, e.g. using a photos of boards, as I described,
> might help as well.

Does the assembly house for the UmTRx have access to an AOI (automated
optical inspection) setup?  This is what you want, and is essentially
what Alexander described previously: you work with the assembly house
to get a "good" board built, then the assembly house trains their AOI setup to
inspect each board that follows to check for assembly issues that
don't match what was done in the good build.  This process isn't
perfect of course, but we've found that it cuts down on assembly
issues considerably.

This shouldn't add any significant cost to the build, and honestly, I
don't know if I'd even consider using an assembly house that didn't
have this capability.  It is a major time saver in the end.

--
John Orlando
CEO/System Architect