[Tetra] Before we get into writing wireshark dissectors...

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Tue Jan 11 21:34:27 UTC 2011

Hi all,

responding to my previous message:

On Fri, Jan 07, 2011 at 12:32:36PM +0100, Harald Welte wrote:
> It seems somebody has already done it:
> http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freeabs_all.jsp?arnumber=5355672

by the way: the paper is in tetra-misc.git/papers/

> I have contacted the authors of the paper and asked them if they have ever
> released the source code or send me a copy of it.  This would definitely
> speed things up.

They have responded to me and indicated that they agreed to release the source
code (which was so far only used internally, so they have no legal obligation
to release it).

I don't have the source code yet, apparently they first want to translate some
documentation into English before providing it.

This is really great news.  I hope we can make quick progress in getting great
decodes once we have their code (which is generated from asn.1 specifications
that they wrote, so it should be relatively clean/systematic and not tons of
hand-coded cruft)

I'll keep you posted once there is any released code (which will be in
tetra-misc.git as soon as I get it, anyway).

I think we simply abuse GSMTAP and add a new TETRA frame type to it, this
way we can benefit from the existing UDP port registration at IANA and the
existing gsmtap code (in wireshark and libosmocore).