simtrace2-sniff crashes wih undefined symbol: usb_open_claim_interface

Harald Welte laforge at osmocom.org
Sat Nov 13 08:33:09 UTC 2021

Dear Felix,

On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 06:16:23PM +0100, J. Félix Ontañón wrote:
> It is the very first time I see this error. I'm using a fresh Ubuntu 20.04.

Unfortuantely you didn't specify how you installed simtrace2, i.e. where those
pacakges listed below originate from:

> libosmocodec0_1.4.1_amd64
> libosmocodec-doc_1.4.1_all
> libosmocoding0_1.4.1_amd64
> libosmocoding-doc_1.4.1_all
> libosmocore_1.4.1_amd64
> libosmocore16_1.4.1_amd64
> libosmocore-dbg_1.4.1_amd64
> libosmocore-dev_1.4.1_amd64
> libosmocore-doc_1.4.1_all
> libosmocore-utils_1.4.1_amd64
> libosmoctrl0_1.4.1_amd64
> libosmoctrl-doc_1.4.1_all
> libosmogb11_1.4.1_amd64
> libosmogb-doc_1.4.1_all
> libosmogsm15_1.4.1_amd64
> libosmogsm-doc_1.4.1_all
> libosmosim2_1.4.1_amd64
> libosmo-simtrace2-0_0.5.2_amd64
> libosmo-simtrace2-dev_0.5.2_amd64
> libosmousb0_1.4.1_amd64
> libosmovty4_1.4.1_amd64
> libosmovty-doc_1.4.1_all
> osmocom-latest_0.0.0_amd64
> simtrace2-firmware_0.5.2_all
> simtrace2-utils_0.5.2_amd64

maybe you have a mixture of distribution-built packages (libosmocroe?) and
osmocom-latest (simtrace2?)

> $ simtrace2-sniff
> simtrace2-sniff: symbol lookup error: simtrace2-sniff: undefined symbol:
> usb_open_claim_interface

This is a function implemented in libosmocore commit

> commit d462e3fa7b22b046b1c3d7cb46be5760b6fd308a
> Author: Harald Welte <laforge at osmocom.org>
> Date:   Sun Dec 15 20:04:51 2019 +0100

i.e. any version of libosmocore >= 1.3.0.  The usb support is built automatically
unless somebody compiles libosmocore with "./configure --disable-libusb"

So in any case, IMHO, this kind of error can only occur if:

a) your simtrace2 software was built against a libosmocore with libusb support
b) your runtime system has a libosmocore _without_ libusb installed

- Harald Welte <laforge at osmocom.org>            http://laforge.gnumonks.org/