Cardem under Manjaro/Arch: Some Troubleshooting

Katharina Kohls kkohls at cs.ru.nl
Fri May 28 09:29:58 UTC 2021

Hi Harald,

On 5/28/21 11:15 AM, Harald Welte wrote:
> Hi Katharina,
>
> thanks for your follow-up.
>
> Can you please share which phone / modem models you have reproduced this with?
I am testing with a OnePlus 6T with a Qualcomm SDM845 Snapdragon 845

> Maybe I can find the same in my collection.
>
> I will try to run cardem on simtrace on a variety of different phones here and
> see which ones work or don't work.
>
> On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 03:03:38PM +0200, Katharina Kohls wrote:
>> BTW while debugging this I realized that the pin layout might be documented
>> in the wrong order: The wiki says TX is on 4 (pin 1 = GND, pin 4 = TX, pin 5
>> = RX), however, for me it only worked when hooking up pin 5 with the RX of
>> my UART to USB. Is that a typo?
> I've always using the 2.5mm stereo jack, as those are used in a lot of Osmocom projects
> starting with OsmocomBB more than a decade ago.
>
> tHe 5-pin UART header was designed to match the FTDI USB-UART cable pin-out.
>
> The schematics are available, they should definitely be the definitive source to
> answer those kind of questions.
>
> It states:
> 1 GND
> 2 CTS
> 3 VCC
> 4 DRXD (SAM3) = TXD of your UART cable
> 5 DRXD (SAM3) = RXD of your UART
> 6 CTS
>
> Maybe the wiki could be further clarified?
I think this already is a good explanation: The Wiki reads like pin 5
*is* the RX of the simtrace, but looking at the documentation above it
*should be connected to* the RX of the UART adapter. I can clarify that
in the Wiki.

Best,
Katharina