remsim: SIM inventory, mapping by IMSI

merlin.chlosta+simtrace at rub.de merlin.chlosta+simtrace at rub.de
Thu Feb 4 14:00:53 UTC 2021

Hi everybody,

we try to use remsim for sharing SIMs across teams (multiple locations). We already set up the basic SIM sharing in a VPN.

From a usability perspective, we’d like to have something like a SIM inventory and select SIMs by ICCID/IMSI rather than slots. We drafted some over-the-top service with a simple web application. pySim reads available cards, sends them to the service and generates a config for bankd. Kinda works, not really nice though. So before going much further, we’d like to ask:

* is there something similar already?
* are there similar features planned, like
  * automatically reading ICCID, IMSI and sharing them through remsim service directly?
  * mapping by card properties (IMSI/ICCID) instead of slot maps?

We found it challenging to preserve the mappings across reboots, as PCSC indices change. We might just use remsim wrong, so any thoughts and feedback welcome. Besides, do you see any major blockers? Like… sharing across locations doesn’t really make sense if plugging-in-and-out is required, and we’re not sure if e.g. connection issues would require that.

Happy for any thoughts!
Merlin