New hardware support or replacement proposal

Kévin Redon ml at mail.tsaitgaist.info
Fri Mar 17 23:35:03 UTC 2017

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 04:09:22PM +0100, Harald Welte wrote:
> > I would love to hear what the community and Osmocom think about this.
>
> I'm also very much looking forward to feedback from other people.

I share Harald's view.
The RPi would simply replace the micro-controller and this comes with a lot of disadvantages.
With the RPi you would always have to keep in sync with all the underlying layer (a complete OS), and also keep the OS up to date. Plus it's hard to guess how long this hardware would be supported and available.

The only advantage (e.g. problem it would solve) would be to make the entry level lower (writing software on an OS might be easier than low level micro-controller code). But on the other side that would also open gate for much more newcomer questions for less technically involved developer.
I don't mind newcomers, after all SIMtrace was also my first hardware project, but there are numerous other non-hardware related aspects already which didn't get any contribution (host software, wireshark dissector, or simply wiki documentation). I am not sure lowering the entry to the more technical aspects would change this.