power consumption

Alexander Huemer alexander.huemer at xx.vu
Fri Aug 7 12:12:14 UTC 2015

On Fri, Aug 07, 2015 at 01:53:20PM +0200, Sylvain Munaut wrote:
> > I wonder if it's possible to measure how much power is consumed by
> > the sim card using simtrace? After all it's the only source of power
> > for the sim card anyway.
>
> I don't think the simtrace has any hw to do that.
>
> Sure it's the only source of power but I don't think it has any
> current / voltage sense capability.

Maybe you can help yourself.
Some ideas that come to mind are:

* modify the VCC path to have something like this[1] in it to be able
  to attach an oscilloscope current probe

* open the VCC path so you can route the trace through a multimeter

* modify the VCC path to have a shunt resistor in it so you can measure
  the voltage drop with it.

Maybe there are some side effects that I did not think of.
I think the wish to be able to measure the current consumption makes
perfect sense. Maybe Kevin can design something into the next revision,
it seems like there is something brewing in git[2].
Getting current measurements in software would surely be very nice.

Kind regards,
-Alex

[1] http://www.robotroom.com/Robots/Afterthought-Cake/Motor-driver-offset-board-with-test-point-hook-loops-for-debugging.jpg
[2] http://git.osmocom.org/simtrace/log/?h=v1.5