[RFC] [ADMIN] Making lists subscriber-only?

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sun Jan 12 18:53:26 UTC 2014

Dear all,

so far the osmocom.org mailing lists have always been in a 'non-members
are manually moderated' mode.  This has created a lot of work for manual
list moderation, where a lot of the messages caught are simply spam, and
only the occasional valid message is being received.

I'd like to thank the list moderators for taking care of this.

However, in more recent discussions, we were considering to move the
lists to a completely closed mode, i.e. postings would automatically be
rejected from non-members.

The automatic response would contain a description of how to subscribe
in 'nomail' mode, i.e. to subscribe in a way to be able to post to the
list, while still not receiving any incoming traffic.  The latter should
be fine for occasional posters who don't want the bulk e-mail that goes
with a full/regular subscription.

Please provide feedback in case you disagree with that change.  Unless
there is major opposition, we will likely transition to the 'closed'
mode within one month.

Thanks,