INS=STATUS + car reset question

Kevin Redon ml at mail.tsaitgaist.info
Wed Sep 4 22:27:11 UTC 2013

Excerpts from Tom Schouten's message of 2013-09-04 23:38:29 +0200:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> On 09/04/2013 04:47 PM, Kevin Redon wrote:
> > Excerpts from Tom Schouten's message of 2013-09-04 18:24:15 +0200:
> >> Hi List,
> >>
> >> I'm running into the following command sequence in a Nexus One Android
> >> 2.3 phone:
> > A bit of context might help.
> > How is SIMtrace used in this experiment?
> As APDU forwarder using new MITM firmware.
>

> >> C-APDU:80F20001FF (STATUS)
> >> R-APDU:6C12 (Incorrect Parameter P3)
> > you used FF as P3 (length of expected data).
> > if you don't know the length, you should put 00 (if I remember right), else you should put the real size of the expected data length which the card indicated previously (e.g. in the previous select response)
> > because P2=01, you just want the name of the application, is that right?
> My conclusion also.
> However, this c-apdu is sent by the phone.
>
> The cause of the reset is a bug in the APDU fw code which I just noticed.
> I was sending a procedure byte (copy of INS) back to the phone in
> response to 80F20001FF, which is not legal if the status code is 6xxx.
> Upon reception of this protocol error, the phone power-cycles the card.
>
> Looks like this bug is more general.  It might explain some other resets.
>
> With workaround, the sequence sent by the phone is now:
>
> C-APDU:80F20001FF
> R-APDU:6712
>
> C-APDU:80F2000112
> R-APDU:8410A0000000871002FFFFFFFF89030200009000

I think I've also seen this behavior where the phone doesn't know/use the length and expects the SIM to tell it using 67xx (xx!=00) (for SIM/USIM) or 6cxx (for 7816-4)

> Thanks for your reply.
> Getting there.. slowly :)

is there a git somewhere where you put the code which I could have a look at later?