INS=STATUS + car reset question

Kevin Redon ml at mail.tsaitgaist.info
Wed Sep 4 20:47:07 UTC 2013

Excerpts from Tom Schouten's message of 2013-09-04 18:24:15 +0200:
> Hi List,
>
> I'm running into the following command sequence in a Nexus One Android
> 2.3 phone:

A bit of context might help.
How is SIMtrace used in this experiment?

> C-APDU:80F20001FF (STATUS)
> R-APDU:6C12 (Incorrect Parameter P3)

you used FF as P3 (length of expected data).
if you don't know the length, you should put 00 (if I remember right), else you should put the real size of the expected data length which the card indicated previously (e.g. in the previous select response)
because P2=01, you just want the name of the application, is that right?

> After which the phone power-cycles the card.

That is weird.
Can you check if it's a proper reset, or if the phone just powers down the card and start again?

> I'm wondering whether this is is desired behavior, or if it's a bug in
> the new MITM code.

I can't comment on that, as I did not test the MITM code.
How does it behave with the git code (where mitm is not implemented)?

> Phone seems to reset the card quite often when in USIM mode.

Does this also happen without SIMtrace?
If SIMtrace is used, can you see the freq and PPS procedure?

> Running the card in SIM mode, this doesn't happen.

In SIM the previous command would not be accepted.

kevin